Total Pageviews

Sunday, 1 May 2011

Sony says sorry for Cyber Hack


Sony’s top brass have finally provided a humbling mea culpa to the 77m users potentially affected by the biggest security breach in cyber history which has left users personal data and possibly credit card details open to abuse by hackers.

Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony's computer entertainment division, said at a press conference in Tokyo. “We apologise deeply for causing great unease and trouble to our users.”

He continued. "We take the security of our consumers' information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. I see my work as first making sure Sony can regain the trust of our users.

As the financial ramifications of the hack start to become clear, Sony has admitted that compensating customers forced to cancel their credit cards may affect profits.

Sony have already offered one month's free access to its users to deter them from leaving for alternative services, such as Microsoft's Xbox Live.

Much of the criticism has centred on the six-day delay in announcing the unprecedented security breach, in case it deflected attention away from the release of two Sony Android tablets that were announced last week, a charge that was flatly denied.

The company said PlayStation Network, which gives users the opportunity play each other online and download games and music will resume this week. The service, which in the UK has an estimated 3m players, has been offline since April 20.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Powered by Blogger
Hyper Smash

Subscribe in a reader